Toddington the Seat of the Lord Tracy.
[British, n.d., c.1707.]
Double-page engraving on laid paper, 345 x 390mm (13½ x 15¼"). Large margins; fold through centre as issued;
Distinctive bird's eye view of Toddington Manor, in the Cotswolds; surmounted by the family crest. The Jacobean mansion was built close to the River Isbourne in about 1620. That house was abandoned in the early 1800s due to extensive dry rot – the only part that survives today is the ornate gatehouse that formed its east side. When refurbishment proved impracticable, Charles Hanbury-Tracy, the first Lord Sudeley, decided to move his residence to a higher and drier site. Hanbury-Tracy designed his new house, known as Toddington Manor, in the Gothic Revival style – it was built in 1820-1835. It is currently owned by the artist Damien Hirst. From Joannes Kip's (Dutch, 1652/3 - 1722) 'Britannia Illustrata'. These views are significant for providing reliable records of the development of the formal English garden in the Dutch-French style.
[Ref: 27413] £180.00