Ctesiphon arch [pencil.]
[British, n.d., c.1925.]
Etching on watermarked wove paper, 100 x 215mm. 4 x 8½".
Ruined building with large arch to right, scavenging dogs in right foreground. The Taq-e Kisra is the remains of a Sassanid-era Persian palace, the only visible remaining structure of the ancient city of Ctesiphon, one of the great cities of ancient Mesopotamia. The ruins on the east bank of the Tigris are approximately 35 km south of Baghdad, Iraq. Charles William Cain (1893-1962]). A student of Camberwell School of Art and then an illustrator/cartoonist for the Johannesburg Star until WWI when he joined the Border Regiment in India and after the Mesopotamia. Armistice entered the Royal College of Art under Frank Short 1920-1.
[Ref: 27409] £240.00