An Entire New Plan of the Cities of London & Westminster; with the Borough of Southwark:Comprehending the New Buildings and other Alterations, to the Year 1809.
Engraved map, one sheet only of two. 460 x 490mm, 18 x 19¼". Old folds with wear, two areas of hand colour added, probably contemporary.
The west sheet of a two sheet map of London, showing Paddington top left, Pentonville, Charter House, half of St Paul's Cathedral, St George's Circus, Elephant & Castle, Lambeth Palace, Sloane Square and the Serpentine. The original owner of the map has marked two areas in the parishes of Clerkenwell and Bloomsbury: around St Andrew's Burial Ground, east of Gray's Inn Lane, is the 'Site of the intended Cattle market' (never built); and covering part of St Ormond Street and Millman Street is the 'Rugby Estate', the property of Rugby School. In 1814, when raising money to build a chapel at the school, Rugby listed some 149 houses on its London estate, with rents of £2,378. However later in the century the area was less popular as a residential area, with some of the school's property degenerating into slums. Some of the buildings were sold to Great Ormond Street Hospital, but the Estate failed to redevelop some of its older streets before new planning legislation made this impossible. In the 1970s 42 freeholds were sold to Camden Borough Council and other delapidated Georgian buildings were demolished.
[Ref: 27395] £490.00