The Savoy Hospital in the Strand.
Sumptu. Societ. Antiq. Lond. 1753. Published according to Act of Parliament, Nov. 29, 1753.
Engraving. 460 x 330mm, 18 x 13".
Three views of the Savoy Hospital for the Poor, created by Henry VII in his will and opened 1512. The hospital was suppressed by Edward VI in 1553 but refounded by Queen Mary in 1556. The hospital was misused throughout the 16th century, with Master Thomas Thurland's conduct subject to complaints, and the hospital used for lodging by vagabonds and criminals. Soldiers and sailors wounded in conflict were admitted in the 17th century, and after rebuilding in the late 17th century the hospital was formally dissolved in 1702. Plate reissued in the Society of Antiquaries's 'Vetusta Monumenta', with descriptions. The Chapel, illustrated at the bottom, is the only building to survive the demolition of the Hospital in the C19th. One of the final prints engraved by the prolific George Vertue (1684-1756).
Alexander: 1019; Adams: 36.11
[Ref: 27021] £140.00