Royal Military College. To Lieu.t Gen.l the Hon.ble Sir Alexander Hope K.B. Governor, This Plate is respectfully Dedicated by his obliged humble Servant, Wm. Dela Motte.
Published Decr. 1st. 1813, by William De La Motte R.M. College Sandhurst.
Aquatint. Plate 455 x 630mm. 18" x 24¾". Small margins grubby. Crease through the vertical centre. Tears into the platemark.
The Royal Military College began in 1800 as a school for staff officers which later became the Staff College, Camberley. A Junior Department was formed in 1802, to train gentlemen cadets as officers of the Line. A new college was built at Sandhurst, into which the cadets moved in 1812. After 1860, the RMC succeeded the East India Company's Military Seminary as the establishment where most officers of the Indian Army were trained. Following the abolition of the purchase system in 1870, attendance at Sandhurst became to usual route to a commission. The College was enlarged in 1912, when New College was built.
[Ref: 26978] £420.00