A Prospect of Chelsea Bridge Water-Works.
Engraving with small margins. Plate 220 x 385mm.. 8¾" x 15¼".
The Chelsea Waterworks Company was formed in 1723 and supplied water to Westminster and adjacent parts. It introduced the first iron main in London in 1746. The company held water in reservoirs in Hyde Park and Green Park and pumped water through an elaborate sysstems of canals which covered a large area of today's Pimlico. As the years marched by the water was becoming more and more contaminated and the Company installed the first Sand filtration operation to purify the water. Eventurally in the late nineteenth century the company became part of the Metropolitan Water Board.
Longford: 645. the location of the water works is shown in Rocque's map of Chelsea, ref. 18215
[Ref: 26908] £250.00