Carlton House.This Plate representing the Improvements opposite Carlton House is with Permission Dedicated to His Royal Highness the Prince Regent by his Royal Highness's most dutiful & obliged Servants. Colnaghi & Co.
London. Pubd. May 1.1817 by Colnaghi & Co. 25 Cockspur Street.
Coloured aquatint; printed on J. Whatman watermarked paper; 305 x 406mm. 12 x 16". Trimmed to plate, laid on sheet.
The view north from Carlton House, on Pall Mall, an early 18th century house reconstructed at enormous cost by the Prince of Wales (later George IV) over a thiry year period. The house was the scene of extraordinary receptions and balls. This print was made during the Regency, before the Regent ascended to the throne and decided that the house was not fine enough for his new elevated standing. The house was demolished and replaced by a terrace of houses (Carlton House Terrace).
[Ref: 26898] £330.00