[The Monument of Philoppapus.]
[London: Elizabeth Stuart, 1794.]
Pair of engravings, with large margins. 330 x 490mm, 13 x 19¼" & 330 x 460mm, 13 x 18".
A view and an elevation of the Monument of Philopappus, published in the 'Antiquities of Athens and Other Monuments of Greece' by James 'Athenian' Stuart & Nicholas Revett. The view shows the existing remains, with two figures in English garb, probably Stuart and Revett, and local goatherds; the elevation shows an approximation of how the building would have looked, although leaving details like the occupant of the lost alcove blank. Julius Antiochus Philopappos, the grandson of the last king of Commagene, a Syrian kingdom abolished by emperor Vespasian in AD72, took Athenian citizenship. His monument, containing his tomb, was built AD114. Stuart (1713–88) and Revett (1720–1804) joined Gavin Hamillton and Matthew Brettingham on a Grand Tour of Italy, the Balkans & Greece between 1748-55. On their return they started work on the 'Antiquities', which was the first accurate survey of the surviving classical buildings of Athens, with the first volume published in 1762, the second 1789, third 1794, fourth 1816 and fifth 1830 (nearly 80 years after the first). The work was incredibly influential, fueling the Greek revivalist style in 18th-century English architecture. The attention to detail was such that it attracted the attention of Hogarth, who satirised the work with his 'Five Orders of Periwig'.
Stuart's gouache of the monument is in the Victoria and Albert Museum, RIBA Library Drawings Collection, SD145/10.
[Ref: 26788] £380.00