[Chart of Port Piraeus, and the Bay of Phalerum, &c.]
[London: Elizabeth Stuart, 1794.]
Engraved map by T. Foot, with large margins. 325 x 495mm, 12¾ x 19½".
Map of Piraeus (the port of Athens) with Phaleron Bay (or Faliro) the original port, superceded by the construction of Piraeus, published in the 'Antiquities of Athens and Other Monuments of Greece' by James 'Athenian' Stuart & Nicholas Revett. Stuart (1713–88) and Revett (1720–1804) joined Gavin Hamillton and Matthew Brettingham on a Grand Tour of Italy, the Balkans & Greece between 1748-55. On their return they started work on the 'Antiquities', which was the first accurate survey of the surviving classical buildings of Athens, with the first volume published in 1762, the second 1789, third 1794, fourth 1816 and fifth 1830 (nearly 80 years after the first). The work was incredibly influential, fueling the Greek revivalist style in 18th-century English architecture. The attention to detail was such that it attracted the attention of Hogarth, who satirised the work with his 'Five Orders of Periwig'. This map was published in Volume 4; the general map of Attica in the same volume was signed by Arrowsmith.
[Ref: 26785] £160.00