Waterman's Church. Worcester.
Scarce lithograph, sheet 205 x 260mm. 8 x 10¼". Two vertical folds (flattened). Glued to backing sheet.
Remarkable print of a floating church. Until the late 19th century, Worcester was a busy port. Traffic of many kinds came up the River Severn from Bristol and Avonmouth; the Worcester and Birmingham Canal from Diglis Canal Lock carried traffic to and from Birmingham and the Midlands A floating chapel for those employed on the river and canal was founded in 1842 by the Rector of St Clements, John Davies, who became known as the Apostle of the Watermen. Davies fitted up an old Severn barge, The Albion, for the purpose, and moored it at the old St. Clement's churchyard. In the later 19th century, a new Watermen's Church was built on land of corrugated iron, with a spire. Davies' memorial can be seen in St Clement's Church.
See Worcester City Museums collection.
[Ref: 26348] £65.00