[Six Views in the Neighbourhood of Port Madoc.][2:] Port Madoc from the Rock Walk 1850. [3:] [Traeth Mawr near Port Madoc.] [4:] [Barmouth with beached sail ships at the estuary.] [5:] Snowdon From Capel Curig 1850. [6:] Pass of Aberglaslyn 1850.
In light grey paper covers, folio; five of six plates, incomplete. Foxing, soiling wth some nicks and tears to the edges. 381 x 559mm. 15 x 22".
William Maddocks (1773-1828) a property developer and politician built a sea wall across Traeth Mawr, the Cob, to reclaim a large proportion from the sea for agricultural use. A road was also constructed along the embankment, and formed the line of communication between the counties of Caernarfon and Merioneth. The work was completed in 1811, at an expense of about £60,000. The town of Tremadoc (Tremadog), was built by Maddocks on Penmorfa at his own expense. From "Six Views in the Neighbourhood of Port Madoc, Respectfully dedicated to Mrs. Wm. Alexander Maddocks and Mrs. Gwynne. by their obliged and obedient Servantm C.F. Williams".
[Ref: 26163] £380.00