To the Hon.ble & Rev.d Gerald Valerian Wellesley DD Rector of St Luke's Chelsea, this South West View of the New Church from an Original Drawing by the Arch.t is with permission humbly dedicated by his much obliged & devoted Serv.t George Hawkins.James Savage Arch.t 1822.
Aquatint with additional sheet of architectural sketches (3) and etchings of various sections of the church. Paper watermarked: J. Whatman 1821. Aquatint 609 x 489mm. 24 x 19¼". Sheet 489 x 330mm. 19¼ x 13". Fold.
St Luke's Church was built in the early nineteenth century, and first consecrated in 1824. The tower, one of the landmarks of Chelsea, stands 43m (142ft) high. The nave, modelled after the chapel of King's College, Cambridge, is the tallest of any church in London.
Longford [Images of Chelsea]: 467.
[Ref: 25955] £380.00