Park Chapel Chelsea Built 1718.
Lithograph. Sheet 485 x 330mm. 19 x 13". Very scarce.
This was built in 1718 as a proprietary chapel in the grounds of what was then Chelsea Park and was under the ownership of Richard Manningham, the son of the Bishop of Chichester. In 1810 Park Chapel was enlarged to serve the growing urban population, resulting in a building seating 1,200 people. God was much at work here, and the congregation grew to a very healthy size. However a crisis point came in 1855 when the Chapelís owner, the wealthy banker Sir John Paul Dean, was found guilty of fraud. Sir John was imprisoned and his assets sold off to pay his debtors, including Park Chapel. However, it was bought at auction by the congregation and put into a trust.
Not in Longford.
[Ref: 25949] £130.00