Town House at Batavia.
[London: Printed for T. Egerton, Military Library, Whitehall. 1815.]
Aquatint, very rare. Image 272 x 419mm. 10¾ x 16½". Cut around image and title.
A view of the former Stadhuis of Batavia, the seat of the city government during the Dutch East Republic, and Fatahillah Square. The Dutch East India Company had founded the fort of Batavia c.1619; except for a brief interval from 1806 to 1815, the Dutch ruled Indonesia until the twentieth century. Batavia was renamed Jakarta in 1942. From Major William Thorn's "Memoir of the Conquest of Java", 1815.
Abbey Travel: Vol.II. 553.2.
[Ref: 25823] £260.00