Published by R. Bowyer, Historic Gallery, Pall Mall, 1803.
Hand-coloured aquatint. Plate 305 x 386mm. 12 x 15¼".
Part of a hidden Doric columned temple at Lindos on the Island of Rhodes, in the Dodecanese, Greece. Founded by the Dorians led by the King Tlepolemus of Rhodes, Lindos became a major trading centre by the 8th century. In medieval times most buildings fell into disuse and in the 14th century many were partly overlaid by a massive fortress built on the acropolis by the knights of St John to defend the island against the Ottomans. The acropolis is one of the greatest sites in the world.
[Ref: 25736] £140.00