[Viscount Cremorne.] [&] Chelsea Park. (2)
[British, c.1800 - 1825.]
Portrait, proof stipple and etching before all letters, with lithograph view, both tipped into a single folio album leaf. Sheet 485 x 330mm, 18¾ x 13". The prints lacking some margin.
Cremorne Gardens, Lots Road SW10 are named for Thomas Dawson, 1st Viscount Cremorne (1725 - 1813); this portrait is by Charles Knight after Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769 - 1830). Lord Cremorne bought Chelsea Farm, the house depicted below his portrait, in 1778. In 1831 it was purchased by Charles Random De Berenger, Baron De Beaufain who turned it first into a sports club and then opened the Cremorne Pleasure Gardens. Entertainment included concerts, fireworks, balloon ascents and galas. After its closure, the gardens were sold for building and soon built over.
NPG D2225. See Longford Images of Chelsea 355, 'Chelsea Farm'.
[Ref: 25686] £120.00