[Two views of Smith, Baber and Downing's, patent floor cloth manufactory, Knightsbridge, London.] [With] The New "Tattersall's" at Knightsbridge-Green. (3)
Watercolour drawing and engraved trade card / billhead / advertisement printed in green ink, together with wood-engraved illustration from a periodical; the three tipped into a single folio album leaf. Sheet 485 x 330mm, 18¾ x 13". A few stains to the watercolour surface. Engraving lacking margins.
This Knightsbridge factory, on the site now occupied by Harvey Nichols, was pulled down in 1823 for the building of Lowndes Terrace, in which Downing had showrooms. Underneath the small (centre) image of the premises, the firm advertises 'Portable Rooms, Temples and Garden Ornaments'. The drawing appears to be copied from a c.1791 plate in Lysons' Environs of London. For more than seventy years Knightsbridge Green was home to Tattersalls, the renowned horse and bloodstock auctioneers and one of the great institutions of the equine world. The firm moved here in 1865, to newly built premises on the west side where a stone archway, flanked by ancillary buildings, gave access to the large covered auction yard. Between 1865 and 1939 Tattersalls' yard was the scene of regular weekly, and in the season twice weekly, horse sales, events as much social as commercial where the bluest-blooded of aristocrats rubbed shoulders with the shabbiest of sporting 'characters'.
See Guildhall Library Record: 23951. Survey of London: volume 45: Knightsbridge pp.88-91.
[Ref: 25682] £260.00