View of the Tread Mill for the Employment of Prisoners. Erected at the House of Correction at Brixton, by Mr.Wm. Cubitt of Ipswich.
Engraving. 202 x 260mm. 8 x 10¼". Cut, creasing as normal.
An outside treadmill, sheltered by a roof, driven by 10 prisoners. Brixton Prison was opened in 1820 and quickly earned a reputation as one of the worst prisons in London, with its small cells overcrowded. This corn mill was installed the following year. During the 1860s the social reformer Edward Smith (1819-1874), who participated in the first govennment-sponsored survey of food consumption in low-income families, complained that the prisoners were maltreated because they received no additional food while toiling on the exhausting 'punitive treadmill'.
See Ref: 23651 for uncut state.
[Ref: 25105] £80.00