Mosaic Found at Shellal, South Palestine on 23rd. April, 1917.The above is a reproduction of the floor or an Ancient Christian Church founded in the year 561 A.D. It was discovered by the Anzac Mounted Division after it having been greatly damaged by a Turkish Trench being dug through it. The design is allegorical and represents vine branches encircling various animals and birds. The inscription, which is broken, runs somewhat as follows:- "He provided diligently for the building of this Church here......He who was most saintly of us and the most beloved--God George. Founded in the year 622 after......(Gaza)." Roman Gaza dates from about the year 61 B.C., so that the date os the Church would be about 561 A.D.
A colour print, rare. 666 x 487mm. 26¼ x 19¼". Foxing and creasing where rolled.
A print depicting fragments of a mosaic found at Shellal, South Palestine.
In the State Library of New South Wales.
[Ref: 25055] £95.00