The Mob destroying & Setting Fire to the Kings Bench Prison & House of Correction in St. Georges Fields.
Engraving, 210 x 330mm. 8¼ x 13". Folding creases, as normal. Closed marginal tear lower right.
The King's Bench Prison was a prison in Southwark, south London, from medieval times until it closed in 1880. It took its name from the King's Bench court of law in which cases of defamation, bankruptcy and other misdemeanours were heard; as such, the prison was often used as a debtor's prison until the 1860s. It was badly damaged in a fire started in the 1780 Gordon Riots, depicted here. One of the rioters carries a banner emblazoned 'no popery', signifying the anti-Catholic underpinnings of the riot. Fold-out plate to a periodical. By Fielding & Walker (probably John Walker, engraver), printers and publishers of the 'Westminster Magazine' and 'European Magazine'.
[Ref: 25017] £160.00