Meeting of the Royal Surrey Bowmen on Epsom Downs.
Engraving. Plate 109 x 159mm. 4¼ x 6¼".
The Royal Surrey Bowmen were founded on St Georges Day 1790 with H.R.H. The Duke of Clarence as Patron. The club disbanded during the Napoleonic Wars and was reformed in 1937. The original venue for the club was the 'Everglades', Epsom Downs, and the present club is still based in the vicinity. A snake has appeared on all club records, and is thought to have originated because of the adders natural habitat in the Everglades. Cover page to "The Sporting Magazine", 1794.
[Ref: 24933] £70.00