[Two grants of land in Yorkshire] Confirmatio Johis de la Pomeray Johi filio Nicholai de Osgotby de Terris & in Osgotby. [&] Relaxatio Witti de Alreton Abbati & Monachis Scae Mariae de Kyrkestall de Terris in Alreton (Vulgo Allertn) Com. Ebor.
Two engraved facsimiles of c.1350 Latin manuscripts, from a single plate: a secular grant of land at Osgodby, North Yorkshire; and a gift of land at Allerton, near Bradford, West Yorkshire to Kirkstall Abbey, by a local landowner. Seals below text. Watermarked laid paper, sheet 345 x 235mm, 13½ x 9¼". Trimmed into plate at left. Tatty extremities.
A frankalmoigne: a tenure by which a religious corporation holds lands given to them and their successors forever, usually on condition of praying for the soul of the donor and his heirs - called also tenure by free alms. The original documents are from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24894] £140.00