[Bolton Abbey, North Yorkshire] Charta terrae in Bleistrete, Eboraci, a Magistro Et Conventu D. Petri, Canonicus S. Mariae de Boelton, circa temp. Steph. R.
Engraved facsimile of the c.1150 Latin foundation charter of Bolton Priory; seal below text. Watermarked laid paper, sheet 245 x 180mm, 9¾ x 7". Trimmed close to and within plate. Chip to lower right edge and lower right corner.
A frankalmoigne: a tenure by which a religious corporation holds lands given to them and their successors forever, usually on condition of praying for the soul of the donor and his heirs - called also tenure by free alms. The monastery was originally founded at Embsay in 1120. Led by a prior, Bolton Abbey was technically a priory, despite its name. It was founded in 1154 by the Augustinian order, on the banks of the River Wharfe. The land at Bolton, as well as other resources, were given to the order by Lady Alice de Romille of Skipton Castle in 1154. The original document is from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24885] £95.00