Plan of the City of Norwich,describing the Streets, Lanes, Public Edificies & Buildings &c. : Divided Into its respective Wards. To the Right Worshipful The Mayor, Recorder, Sheriffs, Aldermenm and Commonalty of the City of Notwich, This Plan is humbly dedicated By their most obedient humble Servant, Anthony Hochstetter, land-Surveyor.
Published April 23rd 1789 by A. Hochtetter [sic] & Sold by B. Beatniffe, Mess.rs Berry, Crosers & Stephenson, Norwich; Downs & Marsh, Yarmouth; & by the Engraver, London, _ Price 7s/6d.
Engraved map. 640 x 810mm, 25¼ x 32". Edges of margin worn, lower centre fold split.
A large and detailed plan of the city of Norwich, with a 36-point key of churches and 22-point key of other public buildings, including meeting-houses for the Quakers, Presbyterians, Anabaptists and Independents, as well as a Dutch church and a 'Romish Chapel'. Although a Jewish community had returned to Norwich, large enough to have their own cemetery, the first post-medieval synagogue was not opened until 1828. The map was published the year of the French Revolution: the outbreak of the French Revolutionary Wars in 1793 were a serious blow to the economy of the city, with the loss of the continental market for their woollen goods.
[Ref: 24871] £750.00