[Land grant, Nottinghamshire] Confirmatio Robti de Burun de Terris in Cotegrave Deo & btae Manae & sco Johi Baptistae & btis Pauperibus scae Domus Hospitalis Tertm & frebus eiusdem Domus De sevientibus in perpetuam Elemosinam....de Tempore Hen: 3ii. ie Nutritus familiaris qui in Domo Domini alitur.
Engraved facsimile of a Latin grant of land in Cotegrave by Robert de Burun to the hospital and brethren of St. John of Jerusalem c.1210-20; seal below text. Sheet 215 x 195mm, 8½ x 7¾". Lacking lower margin; some creasing.
A frankalmoigne: a tenure by which a religious corporation holds lands given to them and their successors forever, usually on condition of praying for the soul of the donor and his heirs - called also tenure by free alms. The original document is from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24745] £160.00