[The Knights Templars in Yorkshire] Charta Donationis Witti Pict (aviensis) Motendini sui & Cultura de Heddigeley Fratribus Miliciae Templi Salomonis in perpetuam Elemosinam.... Regnante Edvardo 1o.
Engraved facsimile of a c.1240 Latin gift of the mill of Headingly to the Knights Templars by a local landowner. 225 x 260mm, 8¾ x 10¼". Very small chip to right margin; a little soiled.
A frankalmoigne: a tenure by which a religious corporation holds lands given to them and their successors forever, usually on condition of praying for the soul of the donor and his heirs - called also tenure by free alms. The Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and of the Temple of Solomon, commonly known as the Knights Templar (or simply Templars) were among the most famous of the Western Christian military orders. Officially endorsed by the Catholic Church around 1129, the Order became a favoured charity throughout Christendom, and grew rapidly in membership and power. Templar knights were among the most skilled fighting units of the Crusades. The original document is from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24731] £160.00