[Kirkstall Abbey, Yorkshire] Concordia facta inter Abbatem et Conventum de Kyrkestall (Com: Eboracae) et Tho. de Rocheley de Homagio &c. a dicto Abbate, retentis &c. Dat.a Festo Sti. Nicolai (6 Dec.) Ao.22. Ric, II, Dui. ['1398' added in pen.]
Engraved facsimile of a Christmas agreement in Latin between Kirkstall Abbey and a local landowner; seal below text. 210 x 265mm, 8¾ x 10½". Handling and folding creases. Chip to lower left margin; a little soiled.
A frankalmoigne: a tenure by which a religious corporation holds lands given to them and their successors forever, usually on condition of praying for the soul of the donor and his heirs - called also tenure by free alms. Kirkstall Abbey is now a ruined Cistercian monastery north-west of Leeds city centre in West Yorkshire, on the north bank of the River Aire. It was founded c.1152. It was disestablished during the Dissolution of the Monasteries under the auspices of Henry VIII. Kirkstall Abbey was acquired by Leeds Corporation as a gift and opened to the public in the late 19th century. The original document is from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24727] £160.00