[The Charterhouse Priory] Testimonium et concessio Obitus a Joh. Priori et Conventu domus Salutationis Dei matris ord: Cartusiens. Lond Witto Hulles.Priori &c. hosp. S Joh. Jertm pro aqueductu fibimet concesso de devotionib. pro illis in perpetuum faciendis.
Ex autogr penes Ric. Rawlinson, L.L.D. et R.S.S. A.D. 1751.
Engraved facsimile of a Latin illuminated manuscript issued by the Prior of Charterhouse, granting a trental of masses for William Hulles, the Prior of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. Decorative floral flourishes and seal. Watermarked laid paper, sheet 255 x 320mm, 10 x 12½". Trimmed to plate. Some puncture holes to lower part.
The London Charterhouse was the fourth house of the order of Carthusians founded in England. It flourished for nearly three centuries in prosperity, its brethren retaining a good character for severe discipline and holy life, when the storm of the dissolution broke upon them. Charterhouse School was founded by Thomas Sutton in 1611 on the site of the old monastery in Charterhouse Square, Smithfield. The original document is from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24722] £160.00