[Croxden Abbey, Staffordshire] Carta Abbatiae de Croxton in Com. Stafford, fundatae anno Dom. MCLXXIX .
Engraved facsimile of the Latin foundation charter of Croxden Abbey, Staffordshire. Single folding plate, 505 x 235mm, 20 x 9¼". Centrefold splitting; some soiling and staining. Extremities frayed and chipped; small portion of text detached from upper right, hole upper left.
Bertram de Verdun of Alton Castle made a grant of land in 1176 at a place called Chotes to the Cistercian monks of Aunay-sur-Odon in Normandy, as the site for a new abbey. "Chotes" has been identified as Cotton, close to Alton, Staffordshire. The monks of "Chotes" moved to Croxden in 1179. The monastery was styled as the Abbey of the Vale of St Mary of Croxden and was dedicated in 1181. Wax seal to lower part. The original documents are from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24716] £90.00