[Land grant, Yorkshire] Charta capitalis Messuagii & Terrae in Loftus juxta Harewoode a Dno Hamone de Alta-Ripa [Dantry] Willo de Hameletone Decano Eboracensi Conecssa...
Engraved facsimile of a Latin deed of transfer of land to William Hamilton, Dean of York. 150 x 240mm. 6 x 9½".
William Hamilton was deputy chancellor of England from 1286 to 1289, then Lord Chancellor from 1305 to his death on April 20, 1307. The original document is from the collection of Richard Rawlinson (1690 – 1755), a clergyman and antiquarian who bequeathed a huge collection of books and manuscripts to the Bodleian Library, Oxford. In 1716 he was ordained, but as he was a nonjuror and Jacobite, the ceremony was performed by a nonjuring bishop, Jeremy Collier. In 1728 he became a bishop, but seems to have preferred to pass his time in collecting books and manuscripts, pictures and curiosities, rather than in discharging his episcopal functions. At his death Rawlinson left to the Library 5,205 manuscripts bound in volumes that include many rare broadsides and other printed ephemera, his curiosities, and some other property that endowed a professorship of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. The Rawlinsonian Professor of Anglo-Saxon was first appointed in 1795. He was also a benefactor to St John's College, Oxford.
[Ref: 24714] £140.00