Theatre Royal Covent Garden, as altered previous to the opening on 15th. Sep. 1794. Destroyed by Fire Sepr. 20th 1808...
London, Published 1st Jan. 1809 by Robert Wilkinson, No.125 Fenchurch Street.
Engraving, sheet 325 x 255mm. 12¾ x 10". Trimmed to plate.
Two views on a single leaf of the theatre on the site that is now the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. The larger image is an empty interior as it appeared before the building burned down in September 1808. It shows the stalls and stage and the candle chandeliers that hung around the room from the different levels of the circles. Vignette of the exterior colonnaded entrance below. At this time the King patronised the Theatre in the Haymarket and the Covent Garden was much associated with the Prince of Wales. On his assent to the throne as George IV the theatre took the words "Royal Opera House" to its title, under the new King's patronage.
[Ref: 24638] £140.00