Brisbane, Queensland. (See page 145.)
Wood engraving. 133 x 172mm. 5¼ x 6¾".
A view which 'zooms toward the row of buildings along the William St riverbank including the old Military Barracks (at left), St Johns Church of England (before being twinned by 1868) and Evangelical Church (the Telegraph Office in 1861) with the two-storey Government Office of 1862 (at right). Queens Wharf Rd angles down to the old Commissariat Stores, South Brisbane ferry landing and the wharf itself where many immigrants landed in the early days, preceded by the convicts' (Rod Fisher, 'Boosting Brisbane: Imprinting the Colonial Capital of Queensland'). Engraving from a British newspaper by William Dickes (1815-1892).
In the National Library of Australia.
[Ref: 24576] £120.00