Selwood Park,in the County of Berks, the Seat of James Sibbald Esqr, towards the Pleasure Grounds [Translation into French follows.]
Publish'd March 25, 1801.
Etching and aquatint in sepia, 295 x 485mm. 11½ x 19". A fine impression, with full margins.
Plate 3 to Robert Mitchell's (1782 - 1809; fl.) folio 'Plans, and views in perspective, with descriptions of buildings erected in England and Scotland; and ... an essay to elucidate the Grecian, Roman and Gothic Architecture.' Mitchell designed Silwood Park, near Staines, Berkshire. In about 1788, Sir James Sibbald built a Georgian mansion on part of the present house and demolished the old "Eastmore"; he called it Selwood or Silwood Park. The name stems from the Old English for Sallow, which presumably grew then along the banks of the streams that flow through the Park. The house was, in its turn, demolished, and the present mansion was completed in 1878. During WWII it became a convalescent home for airmen; then in 1947 Imperial College purchased the house for entomological research and field studies.
[Ref: 24320] £220.00