The Rutland Statue, Market Place, Leicester.Inaugurated 28th April, 1852 _ Edward Davis, Sculpt.r
Lithograph, scarce. 680 x 508mm. 26¾ x 20". Some tears around the edges; laid on conservation tissue.
The statue of John Henry Manners, 5th Duke of Rutland (1778-1857) was unveiled in 1852 to celebrate his 50th anniversary as Lord Lieutenant of the county. It was the first public statue ever to be erected in Leicester. He generously gave money to deserving local charities and supported the Leicester Royal Infirmary in its early days; he was also a trustee of the British Museum.
[Ref: 23922] £160.00