A View of the East Front of the Queens Palace, St James's Park.
Publish'd as the Act directs Feby. 15 1783 by T. Miller No.72 Long Acre.
Copper engraving, rare early issue. Image 355 x 535mm, 14 x 21". Extremities frayed and chipped; lacking upper margin. Damaged but very rare.
Scarce view of the east front of Buckingham House, Westminster, with figures strolling in the Park, dressed in the fashions of the day. This building formed the core of today's Buckingham Palace, a large townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 and acquired by George III in 1761as a private residence. It was known as "The Queen's House". It was enlarged over the next 75 years, principally by architects John Nash and Edward Blore, forming three wings around a central courtyard. Buckingham Palace finally became the official royal palace of the British monarch on the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837. James Miller (fl.1773 - 1814). The plate was reissued by Thomas Simpson in 1796.
Guildhall Library Record 20562. Crace XIII, 17.
[Ref: 23523] £220.00