View of the Convent of BatalhaDedicated by permission to The Right Honourable Lord Viscount Wellington of Talavera and Baron Douro of Vellesley, Knight of the most Honourable order of the Bath, Commander in Chief of His Majesty's Forces in Portugal &c. &c. &c. By His Lordship's most obedient and very humble Servant, Henry L'Eveque.
London: Pub. March 2, 1812, for the Proprietor by Messrs. Colnaghi & Co. 23 Cockspur Street.
Line engraving, very scarce, approx 545 x 790mm (21˝ x 31"). Outside of frame 680 x 940mm (26˝ x 37"). Stain on left. In original French gilt frame (damaged and without glass).
The Mosteiro Santa Maria da Vitoria, a Dominican convent in Batalha. Taking over a century to build, it was completed circa 1517 but was sacked and burned by the troops of Napoleon's General André Massena in 1810-1 during the Peninsular Wars. It is now a UNESCO word heritage site. Engraved by the Swiss engraver Benjamin Rudolph Comte (1760/2-1851) after his compatriot Henri L'Eveque (1769-1832). Both artists spent time working in Portugal.
[Ref: 23421] £700.00