Brunswick Dock on the Thames at Blackwall.This noble bason was excuted from the design & at the individual expence of John Perry Esq.r [...] & the Dock was opened for the reception of Shipping on the 20th of Nov.r 1790. To John Perry Esq.r this Print is with his permission inscribed by his obedient Servant William Daniell.
Coloured aquatint, sheet 505 x 870mm (19½ x 34¼"). Surface loss in places, general paper tone, scratch centre right.
Brunswick Dock, Blackwall, named after the ducal house in honour of George III, with text describing its history. The dock was the first wet dock with gates on to the Thames, and its main feature was a large tower containing a crane for raising or fitting masts to tall ships, visible here. One of six large aquatints by William Daniell of the new docks then being excavated to reduce congestion in the Pool of London. Daniell (1769-1837) was one of the few artists of the period who was as skilled as an aquatinter as he was a painter. It was common practice to add engraved or etched lines to give shape to the tonal effect of the aquatint; this plate is pure aquatint, with no added lines, not even on the rigging of the boats. The margins have been given a grey wash in imitation of watercolour presentation of the period. A painting of the same scene by Daniell, which may have been executed in preparation for this engraving, is in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich (BHC1867).
[Ref: 23321] £1,950.00