Plan and Elevation of the Waterloo Bridge over the River Thames.
1822 London Publish'd by J. Taylor at the Architectural Library, High Holborn.
Large folding aquatint plan, 300 x 675mm. 11¾ x 26½". Perspective view above, with plans and details and vignette view of the toll gate below. Two chips to upper margin, just into plate. Hole in title area.
George Dodd, a civil engineer who worked for John Rennie (1761 - 1821), proposed to build this bridge across the Thames from a point near Somerset House. Dodd left Rennie’s firm, and after the necessary funds had been raised by public subscription, the bridge was built to Rennie’s design between 1811 and 1817. The granite bridge had nine arches, each of 120 ft span, and was 2,456 ft long, including approaches. When it opened, the bridge was christened Waterloo Bridge, in honour of Wellington’s victory over Napoleon in 1815; before its opening it was known as 'Strand Bridge'. The bridge was replaced by the present Waterloo Bridge in 1945.
See Guildhall Library Record: 29748 for plan dated 1816. See BL Maps K.Top.22.40.a. for a plan by Dubourg dated 1811.
[Ref: 23279] £360.00