[The Monument.]In perpetuam memoriam celeberrimę Urbis flammis prope desolatę Anno prodigioso 1666... This famous Column eas Erected in perpetual remembrance of the dreadfull Fire of London, in the Yeare 1666...
Printed and Sold by Christop.r Browne at the Globe the West end of St Pauls Church London. [n.d., c.1690.]
Very rare engraving. 640 x 410mm. Folded near bottom, repaired tear, some creasing, laid on album sheet.
The west side of the Monument to the Great Fire of London of 1666, designed by Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke. The base holds a sculpture, by Caius Gabriel Cibber, in alto and bas relief, representing the destruction of the City; with Charles II and his brother, James, the Duke of York, surrounded by Liberty, Architecture, and Science, giving directions for its restoration. Constructed between 1671-1677 the monument is the tallest free-standing stone column in the world. Wren & Hooke designed the column to be of scientific use: they intended the central shaft to be used with a zenith telescope; and each step is exactly 6 inches, allowing barometric preassure to be measured at known heights.
[Ref: 23244] £380.00