H.M.S. Leander, 50 Guns,appointed to convey the Royal Commissioners to the Exhibition at New York.
London Published May 25th, 1853, by Ackerman & Co, 96, Strand.
Tinted lithograph. Printed area 360 x 480mm, 14¼ x 18¾". Crease in centre, cut at top.
Launched in 1848, Leander was converted to screw propulsion in 1861 but sold in 1867. During the Crimean War, Leander served at Sebastapol. The Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations was inspired by London's Great Exhibiton of 1851, and had its own Crystal Palace. At the fair Elisha Otis showed off his design for a elevator which incorporated a failsafe: it overcame public concern regarding the safety of elevators and three years later Otis installed the first passenger elevator in the United States in a New York City shop.
[Ref: 23236] £230.00