Romae ex Chalcographia jam de Rubeis, nunc R.C.A. apud Pedem Marmoreum
Etching, 520 x 325mm (20½ x 12½"). Horizontal crease through centre, small nicks and tears to edges, occasional staining, general paper tone, bit dusty.
St. Philip with a cross (signifying his crucifixion) and the serpent he killed by the power of prayer. Plate seven from a series of 'Statue dei Dodici Apostoli in S. Giovanni in Laterano'. As part of the reconstruction of the Basilica of St. John Lateran, twelve niches were created under the direction of the architect Francesco Borromini. However, these remained empty until the early eighteenth century, when Pope Clement XI sponsored a competition to select designs for sculptures of the twelve apostles. This statue was by Giuseppe Mazzuoli (1644-1725).
Provenance: once owned by Thomas Meggitt of Hull, painter (1770-c.1859)
[Ref: 23140] £160.00