Vue de Cedarhall dans l'Isle d'Antigoa aux Indes occidentales.
Publié au profit des Missions Evangéliques par une Societé d'amis de l'Evangile, à Basle en Suisse, sous la direction de Birman & Fils. [n.d., 1830.]
Aquatint, with large margins. 255 x 340mm, 10 x 13½". Edges of plate creased.
A very scarce view of Antigua, showing Cedar Hall, a Moravian church founded on Antigua in 1822. The view was drawn by the Rev. L. Stobwasser for his 'Vues des établissements missionnaires fondés par la communauté évangélique des Frères-Unis'. This work was commissioned by the Moravian Church to promote their work on the island, which was the education of the Negro slaves, including teaching them to read. According to Stobwasser, 'By degrees, the prejudices of the planters against the Negro children being taught to read, which in the beginning were very perceptible, wore away... [giving] the prospect of happier days for the Negros'. [Letter from Stobwasser, quoted by The Religious Intelligencer, 1825.]
[Ref: 22919] £850.00