National Art Treasures Exhibition Folkestone Kent 1886.Joseph Gardner Architect.
Wood engraving on thin tissue paper, separately published, image 170 x 340mm. 6¾ x 13½". Centre fold-crease; crinkled, with one small hole. Extremities tatty.
View of a large pavilion built to house one of the Victorian travelling art exhibitions. The National Art Treasures Exhibition Building eventually opened on May 22nd 1886. The organ was built by local Master Organ builder Henry Jones. It is recorded that on 30th March 1901 a lecture was given in the renamed Pleasure Gardens Theatre by Winston Churchill, who spoke of his experiences in the South African War. This image appeared in the Illustrated London News.
[Ref: 22712] £90.00