Dilapidation of the Long-Entry Arch, Old London Bridge.As it appeared March 20th 1832.
London Pubd April 1833 for the Proprietors by J. Brown Old Broad St. & J & A. Arch Cornhill.
Hand-coloured etching on india paper, sheet 310 x 390mm. 12¼ x 15¼". Margins a little trimmed.
Views on the Thames of the demolition of the old London Bridge, making way for John Rennie's new bridge. In 1800 it was decided to replace the old bridge, and a competition was held producing many varied designs. In 1824, Rennie's plans were accepted. The bridge was built 180 feet west of the old Bridge and for a time Londoners could see both the old bridge and the new side-by-side. On June 15, 1825, the Lord Mayor of London, John Garratt, laid the first stone, in the presence of the Duke of York. This London Bridge was built out of granite which was quarried on Dartmoor. It was a structure of 5 arches, overall dimensions were 928 feet long and 49 feet wide. When the new bridge was finished and opened by King William and Queen Adelaide in 1831, traffic switched to the huge new structure and the demolition commenced on the old bridge. From 'Views Of The Old And New London Bridges' (12 plates) by Edward William Cooke (1811 - 1880). Cooke was a draughtsman, illustrator, wood engraver, etcher and painter of rural and coastal scenes in oil and watercolour; son of engraver George Cooke. He was elected RA in 1864 and produced a number of drawings at Redleaf, the home of William Wells.
For the book see item Ref: 9819.
[Ref: 22328] £130.00