A Collection of all the Characters Simple and Compound with their Modifications Which appear in the Inscription on a Stone found among the Ruins of Ancient Babylonsent, in the yeat 1801, as a present to Sir Hugh Inglis Bar.t by Harford Jones Esq.r then the Honorable the East India Company's Resident at Bagdad; and now deposited in the Company's Library in Leadenhall Street, London.
Etching, extremely rare. Sheet 405 x 320mm, 16 x 12½". Mounting tape at top edge.
A collection of Babylonian cuniform letters, one of the earliest known forms of written expression. Originally developed Sumer as pictographs, the script evolved, making the letters easier to scratch on clay tablets. In use for 35 centuries it became obsolete in Roman times, so the ability to read them disappeared also. The script was finally diciphered in 1857. The original stone was given by Sir Harford Jones-Brydges (1764-1847) to the chairman of the East India Company in 1801, Sir Hugh Inglis (1744-1820)
[Ref: 22127] £320.00