Ranston in Dorsetshire. La Seigneurie de Th. Ryves Ecuyer.No. 12 des Jardine Anglois.
à Paris chez Guyot Graveur et Md. d’Estampes, rue St. Jacques au Grand Gessner No.9. [n.d. c.1780.]
Framed aquatint and with etched outline. Glass area 352 x 361mm. 13¾ x 14¼".
Iwerne Courtney House at Ranston, Dorset built in 1755. The residence of Thomas Ryves (1721-1788). Following the death of his parents, Thomas, his brother and his sisters were passed into the care of their uncle, George Ryves, who owned the large estate of Ranston, however when he died the estate passed to Thomas' brother. In 1739 with the death of his brother, Thomas received the sole ownership of the estate. In 1760 Thomas Ryves was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and Sciences and he exhibited some watercolours before the society. He also rebuilt Ranston Hall, giving it its present appearance. However in 1781, undoubtedly for financial reasons relating to his eldest son Thomas, he had to sell this estate which had been in the family for almost 240 years.
[Ref: 21924] £450.00