Published according to Act of Parliament. [n.d. c.1766.]
A very rare engraving printed in red ink. Plate 305 x 495mm. 12 x 19½".
Lieutenant General Henry Herbert, 9th Earl of Pembroke (1693-1750) took a great inerest in architecture and is known to have contributed to the design of a few buildings: Pembroke House, Whitehall; Wimbledon House; Marble Hill House; White Lodge in Richmond; The Palladian Bridge, as seen here, over the little River Nadder at Wilton House. 1736-1737. Completed by Roger Morris, as clerk of works. The design inspired by Palladio's rejected design for the Rialto Bridge in Venice (inter alia), adapted and supervised by Henry 9th Earl of Pembroke. Covered bridge with 5 bay Ionic colonnade on balustraded parapet. End pavilions with pedimented breaks on each face and arched openings. Pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice. Approached on each side by balustraded stairs leading to balustraded platforms. Interior: arches into end pavilions with scroll keys. Enriched cornice and lozenge pattern ceiling divisons. Bridge stands on a central and 2 flanking arches in rusticated basement with 2 further arches to carry stairs. Keystone of one of the arches marked "J C 1737", perhaps one of the masons. Paul Fourdrinier, printmaker, (1698 - 1758) Huguenot engraver and publisher of Architecturl subjects in particular.
[Ref: 21681] £260.00