Brighton Suspension Pier.
Published by C. & R. Sickelmore, Printers &c. Kings Road.
Fine aquatint. 200 x 415mm. 8 x 16¼", on paper watermarked 'J Whatman 1826'. Margin creased.
The Royal Suspension Chain Pier, designed by Capt. Samuel Brown and opened in 1823, costing £30,000. From 1825 steam packet boats offered excursions to the Isle of Wight from the pier. However the exposed nature of Brighton beach meant that the pier was damaged by storms in 1824, 1833 and 1836. It was overshadowed by the opening of the West Pier in 1866, and remained open until 1896, when a survey found the head was nearly seven feet off perpendicular. Another storm destroyed it later in the year. Published in Sickelmore's 'Views of Brighton'.
Ford: Images of Brighton, 207; Abbey: Scenery 63.
[Ref: 21568] £160.00