[Perspective View of the Stable Building.]
[John Nash Esq.r and Sold by Ackermann, 101, Strand, London, 1824.]
Aquatint printed in colours and hand finished, trimmed and mounted on brown card, as issued. Image 190 x 330mm, 7½ x 13". Card spotted.
The Stables as seen from the Royal Pavilion at Brighton, built 1803-8 to provided stabling for sixty horses, completed before the main buildings of the Pavilion were re-designed by John Nash between 1815-1822. Designed by William Porden in an Indian style, the main feature was a vast 24-metre glass dome which many detractors predicted would collapse as soon as the scaffolding was removed. It survived and is now part of the Dome arts venue. From John Nash's 'The Royal Pavilion at Brighton', published by Nash at the command of George IV. The title in square brackets above is taken from the Index of Subjects.
Abbey: Scenery, 62; Ford: Images of Brighton, 458.
[Ref: 21558] £280.00