Brighton Pavilion. North Front of the Stables. Brighton Pavilion. The Riding Stables [Old ink mss.][Stables towards Church Street. Riding House]
[John Nash Esq.r and Sold by Ackermann, 101, Strand, London, March 1, [& July 1] 1824 ]
Two aquatints printed in colours and hand finished, trimmed and mounted on brown card together, as issued, again laid on later board. Images 110 x 180mm, 4¼ x 7" & 110 x 190, 4¼ x 7½". Pinholes in card corners, soiling of card edges, number label bottom right.
The exterior of the Stables from Church Street and the interior of the Riding House of the Royal Pavilion at Brighton, built 1803-8, before the main buildings were re-designed by John Nash between 1815-1822. Designed by William Porden in an Indian style, the building provided stabling for sixty horses. The Stables now form part of the Dome arts venue; the Riding School became the Brighton Corn Exchange. From John Nash's 'The Royal Pavilion at Brighton', published by Nash at the command of George IV. The title in square brackets above is taken from the Index of Subjects.
Abbey: Scenery, 62; Ford: Images of Brighton, 460 & 461.
[Ref: 21556] £250.00